Instructor: Joren Lindholm
For students new to painting as well as those with some basic painting experience, this class is an exploration into object/space relationships; value structure and relationships; issues of design and composition; color orchestration; and planar structure. It will also address the use of mark as a vehicle for expression and content. Students will work from still life, interior space and the figure, as well as individual sources as subject matter. Skills and concepts to be covered include:
- Proper set-up of materials and tools,
- paint and brush handling,
- ways of beginning a painting,
- seeing shape relationships,
- seeing figure/ground relationships.
- seeing value (light/dark) relationships ,
- basic color mixing and color vocabulary, including using limited palettes,
- techniques for creating space,
- and compositional strategies.
Who is this class for: Both beginning and more experienced painters are welcome in this class. Beginners will learn fundamentals, while intermediate level painters will push their skills to the next level while moving to a more personal use of materials and language.